Even though its only Wednesday, this has been a very busy first week as a full-time farmer. (I still feel like someone should pinch me - I can hardly believe that this is actually happening!) As much as I wish the weather would warm up and the ground would dry out so I can get to work outside, I know that this office time is crucial. Once I have plants in the ground, these hours of planning will quickly slip away.
Here are some of the things happening at Flourish this week:
- Measured the fields, finished up the crop plan and the succession planting plans. If all goes well (ha!) I should have 6 different plantings by mid-summer.
- Ordered 29,940 flower plugs, 1,190 bulbs and 160 packets of seeds. They're not all arriving at once, in case you were wondering.
- Designed a super cute gift certificate for Valentine's Day. (Hint hint, today is the last day to order in time for V-Day!)
- Booked 3 weddings for this summer and fall.
- Opened a bank account for the business.
- Built shelves for the tiny greenhouse in my backyard. Let's see how many trays can fit into a 6x8...
- Launched a Facebook page, and in less than 1 week received over 200 likes.
- Researched buckets, floral sleeves and all sorts of other necessary farm items like row covers and drip irrigation.
- Snuggled with the pups during my afternoon tea break.
- And now, I am patiently awaiting the delivery of my 6 hoop houses, 90 trays for seed starting and brand new tiller. I decided to purchase new instead of used for the tiller after receiving advice from seasoned pros.
Thanks for following along at the start of this adventure and for spreading the word about Flourish!